PhD in Industrial Engineering and Operations Research from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1985
MS in Industrial Engineering and Operations Research from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1981
BS in Mathematics and Management Science from Lewis University, 1979
Professional Research Interests
My research emphasis is in the theory and application of mathematical programming, with particular interest in nonconvex programming, networks, location theory, and large scale linear programming. Current efforts lie in the development of efficient (theoretical and computational) solution procedures for mixed-integer polynomial programs, including 0-1 linear programs.
Professional Honors and Awards
- 2010 Alumni Award for Outstanding Achievement in Research, Clemson University.
- 2008 Frederick W. Lanchester Prize, INFORMS, co-recipient with H. Sherali for "a series of papers, including A Hierarchy of Relaxations Leading to the Convex Hull Representation for General Discrete Optimization Problems."
- 1996 Computer Science Technical Section Prize, INFORMS, co-recipient with H. Sherali for our collaborative development of the reformulation-linearization technique for solving discrete and nonconvex programming problems.
- Research advisor for Julie Lassiter, who received second place in the George E. Nicholson Student Paper Competition, 1993, and Terri Johnson, who received third place in the SOLA Dissertation Prize Competition, 1993.
- Research funding in excess of $1,200,000 from various agencies, including the National Science Foundation, Air Force Office of Scientific Research, Office of Naval Research, and the Department of Energy.
Indicates former graduate student.
- Sherali, H.D., Smith, J.C., and Adams, W.P., “Reduced First-Level Representations via the Reformulation-Linearization Technique: Results, Counter-Examples, and Computations,” Discrete Applied Mathematics, Vol. 101, 247-267, (2000).
- Sherali, H.D., Ozdaryal, B., Adams, W.P., and Attia, N., “On Using Exterior Penalty Approaches for Solving Linear Programming Problems,” Computers and Operations Research, Vol. 28, 1049-1074, (2001).
- Adams, W.P., Forrester*, R.J., and Glover, F.W., “Comparisons and Enhancement Strategies for Linearizing Mixed 0-1 Quadratic Programs,” Discrete Optimization, Vol. 1, Issue 2, 99-120, (2004).
- Lougee-Heimer*, R. and Adams, W.P., “A Conditional Logic Approach for Strengthening Mixed 0-1 Linear Programs,” Annals of Operations Research, Vol. 139, No. 1, 289-320, (2005).
- Adams, W.P. and Forrester*, R.J., “A Simple Recipe for Concise Mixed 0-1 Linearizations,” Operations Research Letters, Vol. 33, Issue 1, 55-61, (2005).
- Adams, W.P. and Sherali, H.D., “A Hierarchy of Relaxations Leading to the Convex Hull Representation for General Discrete Optimization Problems,” Annals of Operations Research, Vol. 140, No. 1, 21-47, (2005).
- Adams, W.P., Guignard, M., Hahn, P.M., and Hightower, W.L., “A Level-2 Reformulation-Linearization Technique Bound for the Quadratic Assignment Problem,” European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 180, Issue 3, 983-996, (2007).
- Adams, W.P., and Hadavas*, P.T., “A Network Approach for Specially-Structured Linear Programs Arising in 0-1 Quadratic Optimization,” Discrete Applied Mathematics, Vol. 156, Issue 11, 2142-2165, (2008).
- Adams, W.P. and Forrester*, R.J., “Linear Forms of Nonlinear Expressions: New Insights on Old Ideas,” Operations Research Letters, Vol. 35, Issue 4, 510-518, (2007).
- Sherali, H.D. and Adams, W.P., “A Reformulation-Linearization Technique (RLT) for Semi-Infinite and Convex Programs under Mixed 0-1 and General Restrictions,” Discrete Applied Mathematics, Vol. 157, Issue 6, 1319-1333, (2009).
- Forrester*, R.J., Adams, W.P., and Hadavas*, P.T., “Concise RLT Forms of Binary Programs: A Computational Study of the Quadratic Knapsack Problem,” Naval Research Logistics, Vol. 57, Issue 1, 1-12, (2010).
- Adams, W.P., “Use of Lagrange Interpolating Polynomials in RLT,” published online in Wiley Encyclopedia of Operations Research and Management Science, (2011), DOI: 10.1002/9780470400531.eorms0937.
- Adams, W.P. and Henry*, S.M., “Base-2 Expansions for Linearizing Products of Functions of Discrete Variables,” Operations Research, Vol. 60, No. 6, 1477-1490, (2012).
- Muldoon*, F.M., Adams, W.P., and Sherali, H.D., “Ideal Representations of Lexicographic Orderings and Base-2 Expansions of Integer Variables,” Operations Research Letters, Vol. 41, Issue 1, 32-39, (2012).
- Sherali, H.D. and Adams, W.P., “Reformulation-Linearization Techniques for Discrete Optimization Problems,” Handbook of Combinatorial Optimization 2nd edition, D.Z. Du and P.M. Pardalos (eds.), ISBN 978-1-4419-7996-4, 2849-2896, (2013).
- Adams, W.P. and Waddell*, L., Linear Programming Insights into Solvable Cases of the Quadratic Assignment Problem, Discrete Optimization, Vol. 14, 46-60, (2014).
- Adams, W.P., and Sherali, H.D., "RLT Insights into Lift-and-Project Closures, Optimization Letters, Vol. 9, Issue 1, 19-39, (2015).
- Forrester*, R.J., and Adams, W.P., Exploiting Block-Diagonal Structure in Solving RLT Formulations of 0-1 Quadratic Programs, submitted, (2014).
Recent Classes Taught
Graduate: Linear Programming, Advanced Linear Programming, Network Flow Programming, Integer Programming, Special Topics in Operations Research.
Undergraduate: Introduction to Probability, Introduction to Mathematical Analysis, Precalculus, Calculus of One Variable 1, Multivariable Calculus, Applied Matrix Algebra, Linear Algebra, Linear Programming.
office: (864) 656-5192
fax: (864) 656-5230
Last Updated: 1/5/15
Clemson, SC 29634-0975