- The CMPT is REQUIRED of all new students, regardless of AP, transfer, or Bridge credit.
- The CMPT is used to meet the prerequisites in MATH 1010, 1020, 1040, 1060, 1150, STAT 2220, 2300, CH 1010, and ENGR 1020.
- Please see View/Interpret Score for a detailed list of these courses, their descriptions and prerequisites.
- The CMPT is to be completed prior to the student's orientation for those matriculating in the fall and at least one week prior to the start of classes for the spring and summer sessions. You must take the CMPT before your orientation session in order to register for the correct math class.
- The CMPT may be taken up to 5 times. The highest score received will be used for placement.
- After taking the test for the first time, students will have access to ALEKS learning modules. These modules are designed to refresh students mathematical skills. ALEKS placement is an adaptive test. Once students complete their first assessment, ALEKS will suggest where to start in the learning modules. Students have free access to the learning modules for 6 months. The 6 month access to the learning modules begins once the student first accesses them.
- Students who wish to retake the CMPT to imporve their score will be required to work through the learning modules for a set amount of time (5 hours after the initial attempt, 8 after subsequent attempts) before taking the CMPT again. ALEKS may trigger an assessment while the student is working through the modules. This is so the software can assess student progress. It does NOT count as one of the permitted 5 attempts.
- Students have 24 hours to complete the placement test once they have started it. After completing the test and receiving their score, a student must wait at least 72 hours before they can attempt to take the test again to better their score.
- Students who have used all attempts or who are no longer eligible may start over by contacting Jennifer Van Dyken, firstname.lastname@example.org, and including their Clemson ID number and username.